MEET THE SECOND GRADE TEACHERS!
Mrs. Tichauer/Ms. Gordon
Please refer to school-wide calendar on landing page.
Unit 2: Becoming Experts Reading Nonfiction
Essential Question: How can readers use the features of nonfiction texts to research topics?
Goal: Students will research topics relating to urban, suburban, and rural communities.
· Neighborhood Walk by Peggy Pencella
· What’s it Like To Live Here? Farm by Katie Marisco
· What’s it Like To Live Here? Suburb by Katie Marisco
Next Generation Standards: 2R1, 2R2, 2R6
Unit 3: Bigger Books Mean Amping Up Reading Power
Essential Questions: How do story elements contribute to understanding of the story? What character traits or feelings can I infer using evidence from the text to support my thinking?
Goal: Students will make connections to text and characters by understanding story elements and character traits and feelings.
Next Generation Standards: 2R3, 2R4, 2R5, 2R7
Unit 3: Informational Writing: Social Studies
Essential Question: How can writers use research to write an informational piece on a Social Studies topic?
Goal: Students will write informative pieces by introducing a topic, using facts and definitions to develop points, and providing a conclusion.
Next Generation Standards: 2W2, 2W6, 2W7
- Make sure your child reads for 20 minutes independently each night.
- Each day have your child complete 10 minutes of math fluency and log on their chart.
- Please send in a note if your child is absent.
- Sign your child’s planner every night to indicate that you have checked their homework.
- Please be sure all money is sent in a sealed envelope with your child’s name, class, and purpose.
- Make sure to practice Spelling Words with your child. Flash cards can be both a great tool in learning and fun!